Tuesday, November 2, 2010

B-12 & more...

sounds like a Bingo call right?  For me, it's energy!

For the past 10 months, B-12 is something that I take every morning right along side my multivitamin.  It all began last winter when my daughter got H1N1.  It was not a fun time, trust me.  But she'd wake up around 6:30am, drink a cup of milk and then go back to sleep with me on the couch until about 9am.  Thankfully, she got better after about 10 days... but I didn't.  I could not function.  I'd get up in the mornings and have to lay on the couch for a couple of hours.  I couldn't play with my daughter, I could barely keep my eyes open.  I decided to see a doctor when I realized how depressed I was getting and how much worse my fatigue was. 

So after an office visit and some blood work, B-12 deficiency was my answer.  My levels were down around 200, which was stinkin' low.  Now, B-12 deficiency isn't a huge deal, it's totally treatable.  So I started to taking extra B-12 and over time my levels started to rise.  By April I was up to 400, and as of last Monday (Oct.) I was up to 500.  It's a slow climb back to normal, but we're getting there.  I am still sleepy a lot of days, but my doctor suggested a lower carb/high protein diet to help.  I've done this "diet" before (I don't metabolize carbs quickly like most people, so they sit in my stomach... my body does better with high protein!), and it isn't hard, except for the fact that we eat a good bit of pasta, and quick snacks are usually high in carbs.  But I started eating this way last Monday, and honestly, I am feeling better.  I don't have a huge surge of energy, as some people do when they take B-12 (but their levels are usually normal and they take it for weight loss), but I'm hoping when I get back up to normal range, maybe I'll get some more energy.  I sure could use it with a 2 year old running around.  As for weight loss... nothing but a pound or so.  I'm not completely carb free, unlike in years past, but maybe I can keep myself away from the sweets more easily now.  Although, we have a huge bowl of Halloween candy left over from Sunday.

Why is it that when a doctor tells you to do something, it's usually easier to do than when you decide to do it yourself?  Just a thought.

On to something else....

We, my daughter and I, ran up to the outlets that we live near and returned a shirt for my husband.  While we were there, we stopped by Carter's to get a Christmas present for our newest baby cousin and then headed over to the Columbia store to look at coats.  I needed a new winter coat, last year I wore the Hubb's coat, and it was/is going to be my Christmas present.  I had in my head that I'd like to have something in green and white, but there wasn't a single green and white coat in the store.  My next choice was blue, but when I tried on the blue coats, they just didn't look right.... something to do with the color my jeans.  (Don't ask!)  Then a sales associate showed me a couple coats they had just marked down that morning; they were PINK!  Fushia, or magenta really, more of a redish pink.  Not what I had planned on, but I loved it.  The fit was perfect, and there was only 1 medium left.  The price tag: orig. $239.99.  Ouch! But being in an outlet the price was $119.99 - much better... even better, it was marked down that morning to $89.99!!!!  WHOOHOO!

With the Hubbs permission, I bought it.  Merry Christmas Sarah! 
So what do you think?  (looks red in the pic...much brighter in person)


So this is the 2nd Christmas present I've bought this year... the first was for Hubbs.  Can't say what it is... you never know, he might read this.  But, I'm starting to get in the Christmas mood.  I know it's only November and we have another holiday first, but honestly, Thanksgiving isn't a big holiday for me.  Not that I'm not thankful for all I have (yes, thank you God for your blessings!) but, it's just not my favorite holiday.  That said, Christmas is my favorite holiday.  Not for the presents, but for all it represents and for the family I get to see.  (I do enjoy giving presents.) 

The Christmas season is already upon us, just go look at your local stores, they already have their decorations out.  So, I'll make my turkey and the fixin's in a couple of weeks, but I'll have my mind on what is coming next.  And, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my new coat, and then put a bow on it for Christmas morning.  Yeah, I'm that silly!

1 comment: