Tuesday, November 23, 2010

my reminder...

I was just thinking yesterday that I should write a post about needing a new brain.  My mind is shot, and I can't blame it on "Mom Brain."  Last night when the Hubbs called on his way home from work, he asked if I needed anything.  My answer, "could you stop somewhere and pick me up a new brain."  He played right along and said "sure, I think CVS has them on sale this week!"  Even my husband knows I've lost it. 

But thats not exactly what I'm talking about here.  Sure I need reminders all the time just to get through each day.  Shoot, if we didn't need reminders, the guy who invented Post-it notes would be out of business.   But the reminder I'm talking about is for my heart.  I'm blessed to have grown up in a Christian home and to have become a Christian at a young age, but that doesn't mean I don't need reminding of God's love, grace and mercy on a daily basis.  Some days are easier than others.  Some days, I get a quiet time.  Some days, I don't.  Which is of course is unfortunate as I am a totally different and better person if I have one.  (Quiet time = time alone with God, reading bible, praying) 

When the Hubbs and I met, I was quite active in our church and the college church that we had started.  I sang in the band @ H2o and even did the children's worship with two of my great friends.  Then Hubbs and I got married... wonderful day...  but it changed things.  For two years after that we floated around different states and different churches and I wasn't singing.  Yes, I sing to the radio and make up stupid songs in my head, but it definitely isn't the same as being in a band. 

Then we settled in PA and found an amazing church.  I waited... and waited...but didn't feel it was the right time to jump back in.  Then after the birth of my daughter, I casually started inquiring about the "how tos" of the band.  I started singing with them shortly after and have loved every second.  But, I'll admit, there was/is a bit of disappointment in having to start all over again.  I have to get them to trust me, to show them what I can do and even to have the opportunity to show them what I can do and am comfortable with.  And as I searched the Bible one "low" day, I came across a verse, Ephesians 5:18-19:

18 "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.
Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with
 psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit.
Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,..."

So what did I do with this?  I got a tattoo!  LOL.... okay so thats not really how it all worked, but it was my inspiration.  I had been wanting another tattoo, one on my wrist.  (Yes, I have 3 now.... and most people would be shocked to know this, if they saw me)  Hubbs thought I was crazy, but after I showed him the design, he changed his mind.  Whether he understood where I was coming from or even knew what it meant to me, I don't know.  But everytime I catch a glimpse of my wrist, I am reminded... even when I can't sing in a band or be on stage I can always, and should always, "sing and make music in your heart to the Lord."  For it is to the Lord that I sing, and how I am able to sing.  And I haven't forgotten how lucky I am to have this opportunity... and I won't! 

Wanna see my newest ink?

my musical heart... treble clef & bass clef



No comments:

Post a Comment