Tuesday, January 11, 2011

goin' Barbie...

What is it that makes us, more so women than men, so unhappy with the way we are made?  I'm not judging, I have a few things I'd like to change... things that can't be changed with diet and exercise.  I don't know a single woman who looks at herself and thinks she is perfect the way she is.  It's sad. 

So where does the blame for not liking how we look fall?  Do we blame ourselves, our lack of self esteem... do we blame God for how he made us?  I don't think we can blame either.  And let's be honest, I don't think we can completely blame society or the world we live in for how we feel either.  I know it's everywhere and flaunted in our faces, but unless you're a model, you aren't going to ever look like that and you know it.  That is unless you "go Barbie."

"Going Barbie," my little moniker for plastic surgery.  Again, not judging. 

Recently I got on a kick about plastic surgery and how I wanted to do it.  Yep... it's something I've thought of several times since having my daughter.  And I won't lie, I'd thought of it before that too, but after what pregnancy does to your body, whoa!  I've been thinking of compiling some of my thoughts into a little book, and one of those thoughts is how much "they" don't tell you about pregnancy.  Like, I'm sure most of you know that during pregnancy a woman's bust size increases (and all the men cheer!).  But did you also know that most likely after pregnancy, even if you aren't breastfeeding, that wonderfully larger bust size will decrease to a smaller size then what you were pre-pregnancy.  HELLO!!  What woman really wants that (other than the already well endowed ladies - we're jealous of you, just sayin').

Now, it's taken me a long time to be comfortable with my body.  I'm not a stick thin lady, never have been, never will be.  And I don't want to be either.  But, I have some extra curves/rolls I wouldn't mind getting rid of.  One of my best friends and I had a conversation about this once.  She wanted to get rid of some of her largely endowed bust and tush.  I instantly told her, we needed to find a doctor that would be willing to take it from her and give it to me.  I have very little on the top and none on the back. (LOL... you think I jest)  That conversation stays in the back of my mind and I often think, that would be one rich doctor.   

Anyway, back to the topic, 'goin' Barbie.'  Ultimately I see nothing wrong with it.  I know several people who have had surgery, cosmetic and otherwise, and I don't think of them badly.  Shoot, it's their choice not mine.  But that's exactly the thing that holds me back.  What will others think of me?  Yeah, I'd get the stares and such from people I know, and they'd probably talk, maybe I'd even have to explain.  But it's my family I'd be most worried about.  How my family sees me is most important to me.  Of course the Hubbs would LOVE it, but what about my younger cousins, or my younger sister?  And then what happens when Miss A. gets to be 16 and complains about her size?  (it's inevitable, what girl doesn't?)  How do I look at my sweet child and say "God didn't make a mistake when he made you, you are beautiful the way you are"?

So, I don't think I'll be going under the knife any time soon, if ever.  It takes a stronger person than me to do it.  Instead, I guess I'll try to change the things I can change, and get a push-up bra to change the rest!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment